Wednesday 19 December 2012

Evaluation Q3: What have you learned from audience feedback?



Whilst going through the process of creating at editing my trailer and ancillaries, audience feedback was a crucial necessity to allow me to develop my work to the best possible version it could be. For each draft of my work that I uploaded, my teacher and other media students commented on the posts to give me both positive and negative feedback. I used this feedback to improve my work.

First Draft of Trailer

  • Really good framing in the shot, maybe limited the background noise in some scenes. - Amelia Lancaster
  • Nice framing in some shots. Your soundtrack works well with the editing - Thought beats. Also your transititons are very good. Try to limit the amount of background noise to a minimum and make sure all voices are heard - Victoria Bellairs
  • Music works well and the clips run in a good sequence, the background sound on some clips is just too loud.- Stephen Lyons
  • This works really well! make sure you can always hear the actors - Lily Berrisford

From this feed back I learned that I needed to reduce the background noise and make sure that the characters' voices are heard. By learning this I improved my trailer by reducing the background noise through iMovie, using ducking to raise the characters' voices and re-filming scenes where the background noise was too over powering.

Second Draft of Trailer

  • your music fits in with the theme of the trailer its really intence and draws the audience in probably just put a few fast cuts in there to make it more intence and speed up the pace - Harriet Thompson
  • transitions work really well and the structure is great. the E4 title card at the beginning is a good idea. i'd suggest turning up the volume when stephen's in the library its a bit quiet.-Samuel Moore
  • Good trailer! On the text scene I think you should slow it down so the audience can read it fully and understand what is going on. Also, on the scenes with no dialogue I think you should reduce the volume so the background noise doesnt over ride the soundtrack. I think your music works great with your transitions and edits - your thought beats are very good!-Victoria Bellairs
  • I think the order is great and the music works well with the transitions.-Stephen Lyons
From this feedback I learned that I needed to put in some faster cuts to make it more intense, raise the voice of some characters, reduce the background noise which don't have dialogue and slow down the text scene so that the audience can read it. For my third draft I improved my trailer by completing all of the tasks that were made from the feedback.


Note: For both of my ancillaries, I worked with another member of my group - Victoria Bellairs

First/Second Draft Soap Billboard


  • Narrative is very clear from posture, eye contact and physical contact, well done. Social realism genre is clear from brick wall background. Beth's representation as unfaithful girlfriend is clear from her costume. Just need to work on branding- E4 sticky tape isn't transparent and should be at a slight angle. Carl can help you with the Photoshoppy stuff. Font's not quite right as well, should be American Typewriter. Fix these little things and get a hash tag/twitter/Facebook feed on the poster to make the brand easy for audiences to access. :) - Sheena (Teacher)

From this feedback we learned that we needed to include the original E4 'sticky tape' in our poster as well as using the same font as E4 (American Typewriter). We took the advice for both of these points and edited our Billboard making it look more realistic and professional.

First Draft Soap Magazine Front Cover


  • Good but needs an accent colour to make this stand out on the shelf e.g programme names in yellow. This is how TV and Satellite week draw attention to their product. Under Beth you need the name of your soap- strangely this is the main feature but the only show you've chosen not to name! Get rid of box outline over Beth's face, it crowds her. Also needs a price. Good, just needs these tweaks
Using this feedback we added another colour(yellow) to our colour code, so that it would stand out more. We also included the name of our soap in the main feature, deleted the background box that was overlapping Beth's face and added a price.

No comments:

Post a Comment